Affordable acoustic treatment Sources for Bass traps DIY and Acoustic foam

paulpereira

Hi guys, just thought i'd share . If anyone is looking to DIY bass traps, ROXUL Rockwool has an office and warehouse in singapore.
They sell these in 50mm thickness, i got them recently and think they work quite well. A little messy and itchy to work with but for $25 for a pack of 6pcs of 1.2m by 0.6 m slabs is quite worth it. Get your transport though, unless you wanna carry that around the trains and busses!

http://www.rockwoolasia.com/products/industrial+-c12-+technical+applications/rocktech+s+(slab)

Also, the owners at Martin Electronic at BUrlington square level one, sells acoustic foams in rolls of 6ft by 3ft at $30 a roll. Quite worth it i reckon.

Martin Electronics
175 Bencoolen Street, #01-47 Burlington Square
Singapore 189649
Singapore
tel: +65 65-62204420
fax: +65 65-63364420

Happy Treatments!

Good points by paulpereira!

Roxul, or any mineral wool/rock wool is better performing than acoustic foam in terms of sound absorption coefficients (not to mention it's cheaper as well)!

When buying rock wool from suppliers, remember to ask them for the airflow resistivity values of their product. The common misconception is that density is what determines sound absorption, which is false. It is the airflow resistivity and not the density of the rock wool that determines its sound absorption coefficients.

To find out which airflow resistivity to use, you may use this calculator http://www.whealy.com/acoustics/Porous.html. Generally speaking, the thicker the acoustic panel or bass trap, the lower the air flow resistivity you will want to use.

Happy DIY acoustic treatments everyone!

Are you serious?? Isn't rockwool very itchy and got glass and fibers! Over time it can escape and be dangerous. Better off using the real thing.

- - - Updated - - -

I was reading on the internet that this material not allowed to be used like this because of the small particles. Even now the schools ban this material to be used.

Back