Midi Out from controller to Midi In of Audio Interface Question

Hi guys,

Will appreciate if someone can shed some light.

I have a M-Audio Keystation 61es. I usually link it up with USB, however my iMac only has 4 outputs and apparently, I am out of USB ports even with an 'extended' USB port.

I have, a firewire M-Audio Profire 610.

Question is, will it still work the same like USB-connected if I connect the Midi-Out (from Controller) to the Midi-In (of the Audio Interface)? Will my software still be able to detect the midi controller and trigger sounds out of the software?

Please advise, thank you for your time!

Rgds,

Yes, it will work. Before USB, this was the way to connect instrument to computer.

Hi James,

Meaning, Midi output of controller, to audio interface's midi-input. Then it sends the signal via firewire to the software right?

Rgds,

Hi James.

One more question, the midi cable doesn't exactly power up the midi keyboard as well right? If you're going via midi out from controller to midi in of audio interface, it'll just be a data cable?

You'll need separate power sources for both devices?

Thanks.

Rgds,

While USB midi is bidirectional, midi cable is only unidirectional. That' why you got in and out. Just a minor point to take note.

And yes, midi cable does not provide power.

Hi Cheez,

By any chance you're familiar with the M-Audio KeyStation 61es?

I read the manual but it apparently it doesn't provide the size of the power pin. It's 9v DC positive, but I'm not sure if it is 2.1mm or 2.5mm.

Can someone shed some light on how to go about discovering this please?

Back