Multi-track recording help (audacity)

Jake B

Hello,
I am recording two guitars on separate tracks using my Blue Yeti and Audacity. The song is about 4 minutes but I don't want to actually play and record 4 minutes of each. So I am recording the progression once and then repeating it using the REPEAT effect on Audacity. However, as the song progresses the two tracks become out of sync more and more. How can I record two tracks, repeat the progression and get them to sync properly throughout? Thanks! -Jake

A good way to do this is to record with a metronome/click track, so whenever you do guitar overdubs or record sections of the song, the timing remain the same. If you wanna "repeat" parts, you will need to trim it and align it according to the timing. Doing this can make it sound unnatural unless you know what you're doing. There's no easy way to get it in sync automatically by pushing a few buttons.

Jake: record to click / metronome. if you play it in time for the first set of bars, cut'n'pasting/repeating will allow you to have everything in sync. if I don't recall audacity wrong i don't think you can cut'n'paste easily as it is a very basic recording software. then you might want to consider using www.Reaper.fm
then google/youtube "audio quantizing reaper" should come up with some tutorials on how to fix bad takes. then eventually you will work on your keyboard/mouse skills instead of music instrument.

Back