Line 6 UX2

worldshaker84

Hi I came across this product in city music website. The line6 POD Studio UX2.

http://www.citymusic.com.sg/webshaper/store/viewProd.asp?pkProductItem=176

I am wondering if this product is good enough for beginner like me to do some recordings on my acoustic guitar and of course with vocal at home.

Anyone using this product care to share your personal point of view? or are there any recommendation on other product you guys used for home recording especially to record acoustic guitar and vocal?

UX series is quite a decent standard for home recording. Of course you'll need a separate mic to plug into the interface for vocals, and for guitar if your guitar doesn't have a built in pickup. Popular starting choices are Shure SM57/58 or Audio Technica AT2020. Majority of my band's EP was through SM57 and UX2.

On the other hand, if you want an all-in-one product, can consider something like the Zoom H2n recorder. I've done live recordings of guitars + vocals like this: https://soundcloud.com/anechois/pigeonhole-open-mic Untreated corner of a cafe... just put it on a table and record, a little bit of EQ-ing and compression added afterwards.

I've been using ux2 for about two years. It's quite decent and it does have phantom power which means you can plug a condenser mic etc for more sensitive vocal sounds. one thing i don't like about it that it's too light and will move when you plug a lot of inputs into it

Line 6 is a decent manufacturer, with their hardware guaranteed to last a while, and their software easy to use. I only wish they made better preamps, so while they'll get the job done, they won't make a decent recording better.

Focusrite has the best sounding preamps IMO. My band's recordings are done through a ProFire 24, although for starters, their 2i2 is an excellent interface. They also have a Studio 2i2 package, which includes a condenser mic, a pair of headphones, and the interface. If you need midi functionality, consider their 2i4.

worldshaker84 :
Line6 UX2 / Presonus Audiobox / Focusrite etc
anything with 2,3,4 etc inputs should be more than enough.

You will need to look into a versatile large diaphragm condensor mic for recording your acoustic guitar/vocals unless you're doing it Direct Input. Vocals you'll require a pop filter at least.

Back