Different Time Signature Enabling in Protools / Ableton & Recording Click Track

HF Theory

Hello!

1#
Would like some advice on how to enable Different Time Signature in respective DAW such as Ableton Live & Protools

For eg, on a song; Progressions such 5/8 then to 19/16 then to 4/4 then to 7/8

2#
would appreciate some advice on how to record click track.

Some just background info.
Interface is Line 6 UX2 with Ableton Live & Protools as DAW.

Appreciate any advice or pointers on how to execute the above!

Thanks for stopping by!

hey there! i don't understand why would anyone want to change to so many different complex-ed time signature in ONE SONG??
are you recording a score for a movie??? sounds like you're doing a math problem sums man..
but it's really simple to change TEMPO of the song in those DAWs though.. not too sure about time signatures...
hopefully someone can help you. =)

HF Theory :
1 - your keyword google search would be "tempo track protools" or "Tempo track ableton live" where you can customize different tempos/time sigs etc. I don't use protools or ableton, but it should be able to do something like what I do in cubase.
http://media.soundonsound.com/sos/nov06/images/cubaseheader_l.jpg

2 - one of the methods would be after creating the tempo track, load any VSTi with maybe a rimshot snare or beep, and cut'n'paste create the midi track according to your tempo track. export that out into audio.

MrMusicTech : it's common for some genres. e.g. this band I'm currently recording full LP with .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFxdyt9FmkA
tempos in this track is 160,210,136,128,138,128,140bpm. (for some bpms that seems insanely fast, divide it by 2. e.g 210bpm = 105bpm)
their other new songs involves in the tempo going retard (by feel) , from a faster tempo then back into a fixed slower tempo.

MrMmusictech, that's why it's interesting! The important thing is the final product. You're also right - time-signature change is very common in scoring for films (esp irregular timing), not also can be for other genres. But with so many changes with irregular timing is unusual. Hence my curiosity...

it just boggles my MIND to know that people don't stick to the conventional 4/4 or even 6/8 signatures... why would you want to do that?? it only makes it harder to play live.. unless you guys love the challenge then i have no arguments.

and all the best BlueprintStudios: hopefully you guys can bring singapore up too!
check out my stuff too: www.youtube.com/mrmmusictech
thanks!

it's not my band. I don't play any music instrument. I just record the bands that engage me.

from the youtube video I linked , you can see them playing live on the other videos. there's no formula/limitation/right way to music.

Hi Mr Music Tech!

Essentially, what I've laid out are compositions for my band that i'm writing, experimenting with riffs on various time signatures. My band plays heavy prog odd time stuff with lotsa synth and experimentation.

Basically a "Prog Approach"

In order to make sense, I think the word is here, "experimentation" and trying out new possibilities, than the typical common 4/4 & 6/8.

I have to agree with Cheez. The most important thing is the final product.

And yes, there is group of us musicians, who digs experimentation, as well as well odd time signatures compositions.

Playing wise, of course, it has to be composed in such it's within the band's capabilities and whatever is written, has already been played in the studio, live.

Also, I wouldnt be posting here, if I just wanted to change the TEMPO in DAW, that's nuff said.

Cheez & Blueprint Studios,

Thank you for the lead and definitely it has been put to good use.

You guys always inspire me to dig more into mixing, producing and writing!

Cheers Cheez & Blueprint Studios!

BIG THANK YOU!

MrMmusictech, I agree it's unusual. Actually, I do have a piece (in concept phase now) that switches very quickly between 4/4, 3/4 and 5/4 (and I believe I added a 7/4). But then it's a film score, not for live playing. And you are right - live playing irregular timing esp switching quickly is going to be technically challenging. Let's see what comes out.

HF Theory, you're welcome. Waiting for you piece.

it just boggles my MIND to know that people don't stick to the conventional 4/4 or even 6/8 signatures... why would you want to do that?? it only makes it harder to play live.. unless you guys love the challenge then i have no arguments.

The indians have a long tradition playing in odd time signatures. It is only in recent years that this whole concept exploded via culprits like dream theater and the likes. Even Metallica's master of puppets. 4/4 7/8

Last edited by a moderator:
Odd time signatures are not uncommon. What's uncommon (as is the thread-starter's piece) is the number of different odd signatures in one piece of music and making frequent changes in that piece. The challenge is making the music flow with all those changes going on.

Ok. Will take up the challenge myself to write one like that! Thanks for the inspiration!

Odd time signatures are not uncommon. What's uncommon (as is the thread-starter's piece) is the number of different odd signatures in one piece of music and making frequent changes in that piece. The challenge is making the music flow with all those changes going on.

Ok. Will take up the challenge myself to write one like that! Thanks for the inspiration!

Definite an experimentation point of view I'd say, most importantly, as you said Cheez, is the flow of it.

Back