Hard-hitters on the drums.

ssflyse

Well guys, there have been many controversies over whether drummers who hit hard should tone down when it comes to the verse etc, well to me, my motto for drums is to "Hit each note as if it were your last", put in the most energy and the most passion into playing drums/jamming, even if you aren't playing live, you should still put your most effort into jamming/practising. And well, my drumming has been discriminated by some saying i hit too hard, but for me its a natural thing, its not because i purposely do it, but overtime its just my style to hit hard, as with hitting hard, i get the feel of the song, and all my emotions just pour out when i hit hard. If you guys check out Chad Smith, he too is a very hard hitter on the drums, Kenny Aronoff too. There have been people talking to me about dynamics when playing with a band, to hit softer during the verse, although i do lessen my strength and energy during the verse and build up when it comes to the chorus/high parts of the song, they still tell me i hit too hard. I take drumming very seriously and athletically in a way, to use my maximum effort each time i practice/jam.
So guys, i want to hear your opinion of whether you think we hard hitters should tone down, or continue with our "style".
Do drop some comments, constructive criticism is welcome :)!

I'm no drummer, but my experience as a musician has led me to conclude that attempting to use one style for all your music applications is only going to result in monotony (both for yourself and your bandmates), and eventual frustration with yourself.

There are situations where it is right to hit hard throughout. But hitting hard is not equal to playing with energy. In fact, anyone can just hit hard throughout the whole song because honestly, it doesn't take much brains (no offense to drummers).

I think that any musician who wants to be, or claims to be "serious" about his or her playing has to constantly listen to their own playing, and vary with what they feel.

There is a difference between hitting hard and bashing your drums. When you are hitting hard, are you still using technique or are you breaking your sticks and cymbals constantly? If you find that you're breaking stuff constantly, you know that something is wrong and it's time to change. I personally feel that it's completely fine if you play hard with technique and you know what you're doing and not playing hard for the sake of playing hard or whatsoever. I mean, when you're hyped up and you love the music you're playing, you dont just sit there and tap on your kit right? Haha.
I find myself playing harder over the years but only to a certain extend. Keep in mind that when you are playing in a band, you ARE playing in a band. You want to blend in and not overpower the sound of your bandmates. Work together with your band to control each instrument's sound level and you guys will sound alot better instead of having one instrument louder than another. Another thing is, are your bandmates the ones complaining about you playing too loud and hard? If they are, you'll have to tone down. The rehearsal studios here are smaller than a bedroom so you cannot be playing like you are performing in a stadium. My band does not practice using earplugs and I have this problem myself with regards to my cymbals being too loud and all that when im not even hitting very hard. I ended up having to change my crashes and rides multiple times until everyone is satisfied with what they are hearing. It's all about playing together in a band. Everyone has to give and take!

sometimes its not how hard or how soft u hit...but rather you must try your best to blend with the band....

hard hitters are alright if u are still in control....but once you lose your dynamics, something is not right......

one way to test...

Some drummer are extremely hardhitters...but listen to their ghost notes in the mist of the hard hitting.........it is still extremely soft...meaning that they are still in control.....

on the contrary, if u can't do a "hush" ghost notes in the mist of the hard hittting, you are bashing....losing control of the your touch n emotions....that music is overtaking you...

Dynamics are not just between verse n chorus, they are within chorus and verses, within your fills, within every strokes....

just my thoughts....

Last edited:
hi there

being a hard hitter isnt wrong... im one of them too... but be reminded that if you are with the band, get familiarized with the volume of the band in whole... u wouldnt want to cut off the guitar & bass sound just because u play too hard... and before u jam, soundcheck first by hitting your hardest with total feel...

its like making love... and the drum is your wife... do it with passion yeah...
dont be a wife beater by hitting out of anger...

i hope you get my point...

and criticism from others? take it like a man and apply it to your drumming...

Back