Groove/Funk/70s R&B Bassist a la Meters, Galatic, Maceo,

WhatIsHip

Bass player with a lot of experience playing in Rock, 70s R&B, Funk, Funky blues, Acid Jazz, New Orleans funk, Fusion, and Progressive Rock bands. Looking to form or join a band to play out about twice a month.

Open to anything as long as it's tight and grooves, and to be able to jam on ideas, not just follow the original.

I work best with and am seeking slightly older (>30), experienced musicians. I play fretted and fretless bass, the latter sounds good with acoustic songs.

Some ideas:
Instrumental R&B Funk: The Meters, Galactic, Martin Medeski and Woods, Liquid Soul, Groove Collective, SoulLive
R&B Funk/ New Orleans Funk: The Neville Brothers, Little Feat, Dr. John
R&B: Maceo Parker, James Brown, early Stevie Wonder, Tower Of Power
Funk: Parliament / Funakdelic, The Brothers Johnson, Ohio Players, Sly & The Family Stone
Funky Blues: Chris Duarte, Joe Bonamassa
Fusion Blues: Robben Ford, Scott Henderson
Fusion: The Yellowjackets, Weather Report, Brian Culbertson, Jan Hammer, Pat Metheny, Herbie Hancock, Brian Auger, Jeff Lorber, Niacin, Spyro Gyra
Hard Blues: Robin Trower, Kenny Wayne Sheppard, Eric Gales
Jazz Rock: Steely Dan, Jeff Beck, Dixie Dregs
Rock: The Allman Bros, Hot Tuna, Grateful Dead, early Santana, select Jimi Hendrix songs
R&B Jazz: Eddie Harris / McCoy Tyner, Kenny Garrett

I also have years of experience playing Led Zepplin, Jethro Tull, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Mahogany Rush, Rush, Yes, Genesis, ELP, Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, etc. 70s rock - I'd be open to that only if I can't find a gig playing the stuff listed above.

An interesting side project could draw on these influences:
Prog: King Crimson, Yes, Rush, ELP, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Pink Floyd, Arena, Symphony X, IQ, Spock’s Beard, The Flower Kings
Electronic: Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk, Jena Michelle Jarre, Triumvirat
Ambient: Brina Eno, Biosphere, Spiritualized, Robert Fripp, various artists

I'm not interested in playing:
- Canto
- Ballads (or other sappy music)
- Straight jazz (gets boring for this bassist)
- Straight blues (two or three a night is ok but I'm not a blues purist)
- Metal (love it but not to play)

Last edited:
Sorry for shamefully bumping this, just keen to find some players soon and get something good happening to play out at BluJazz and other places

Hey I'm a keyboardist (+ alto saxophonist) thinking of re-forming a blues/jazz/funk band, ever since my bassist and guitarist had work related commitments and the jamming was kind of interrupted. I totally like the type of music you listed, and Maceo Parker is one of my fav sax players that i often listen to!!! My email is ryan_goh129@hotmail.com, we can talk more if ure interested.

Bumping, still looking for musicians that fit the bill. For those that have contacted look to get together soon.

This week's bump. Is it really that hard to find groove-oriented players here?

Was listening to The String Cheese Incident today and it just made me want to get into a gig where the band can stretch out like that and take a song in a lot of directions, then pull it back.

Songs are fun but good, cohesive jam is a great thing when it comes off well.

Doin' the Educated Bump

Bass player with a lot of experience playing in Rock, 70s R&B, Funk, Funky blues, Acid Jazz, New Orleans funk, Fusion, and Progressive Rock bands. Looking to form or join a band to play out about twice a month.

Open to anything as long as it's tight and grooves, and to be able to jam on ideas, not just follow the original.

Back