Help with muting strings

aobtd

What method(s) do y'all use for muting?

I'm having trouble getting a good clean sound with the other strings ringing in the background as well..helphelp :x

If your fingering hand isn't that busy, use your fingers to mute it. For me, I use the free fingers on both hands :)

try different right hand techniques, the floating thumb is good way to reduce the unwanted strings from ringing

Yeah, depending on the string to be plucked, you can mute using either left hand or right hand fingers. Have also learnt muting using right palm/thumb like guitarists across strings in some situation - for example play solo notes on G string.

One simple way to mute strings without special technique is to use a hair scrunchy/band. Get a cheap one, or 'borrow' from wife/GF. I do that if I want to try tapping.

Last edited:
I use both hands too. I think it really is a matter of finding out what's most comfortable for you.

Not sure if using a hair band, other than to minimise harmonics during tapping, is a good practice. Found that it made me lazy. :)

Thanks a lot for the advice and suggestions guys. Was wondering how Jaco specifically did his muting. His passages are always so clean and SPEEDY summore!

Back