Blackstar Blackfire Gus G Signature Pedal

First off, this is my 1st review. So let me give a basic background of my experience (or lack there of) of playing guitar. I mostly play metal starting with the bass and then moved on to guitar and have been doing so for the past 2 or 3 yrs. I mostly play rhythm (not gd enough to play lead... MUST GET BETTER). So, with that, lets begin the review.

Features: So basically, one of the main reasons you would buy guitar would be the Fire (rhythm) and Fury (lead) channels. Works something like a Metal Muff with top boost. The difference is that it isn't as painfully trebally as the Metal Muff. On a metal muff, you cant turn the boost function up more than a quarter otherwise it can get kinda piercing.

The other feature would be the ISF (Infinite Shape Feature). Being able to go from a more American voicing to a more "brown" British tone when you turn the ISF Knob clockwise. This, coupled with the standard bass, mid and treble gives you a wide range of tonal possibilities.

Sound: On to the aspect that absolutely sold me on this pedal... Huge amounts of gain without losing the dynamics of the guitar. Certain high gain pedals concentrate so much on gain to the point that each individual guitar's sound is drowned out. Some of them can sound kinda nasally as well. There is absolutely NO signs of that in this pedal. And the Fury (lead) channel boosts the mids and trebles slightly (depending on how you set the gain and level for the Fury channel). It sounds more pronounced without being too trebally. But for you all you metal heads that play abit of blues here and there, its quite difficult to get a nice blues sound (or maybe i haven't tried hard enough, only got the pedal today). This is an absolute METAL MACHINE!!!

Overall Rating: 95% (cos nthin in this world is perfect :))

Testing Equipment (Home Rig): EastWood GP loaded with Super 2s. Hamer Vector XT loaded with Tesla Pickups (Plasma 2: Bridge, Plasma 3: Neck) and a Blackstar HT-5

P.S Thanks for reading. And do pls comment on my 1st review. Some constructive advise perhaps? :)

Last edited:
yea best pedal I've heard so far, high gain and well defined tone. Not muddy souding even on the low strings.
I've done an AB with the Ibanez toneblaster TBX65R amp distortion. The amount of gain on the amp is slightly more than the gain on the distortion pedal but if I tweak both the ibanez and blackfire eq u can get sort of the same heavyness of tone as the ibanez amp's distortion. In terms of defination blackfire owns the ibanez amp, blackfire sound is more defined and the ibanez is muddy.
Testing equipment: Samick artist series 29 fret guitar with Dimarzio D sonic bridge pickup. Ibanez toneblaster TBX65R amp.

is this pedal reflective of the Blackstar drive/distortion in general? or more desirable?

should we plug this pedal into another amp, do we hear the pedal's individual character or a Blackstar amp, just a variation of voicings?

so far I've played blackstar HT series amps, blackstar HT distX and the blackfire, they have 1 thing in common, really warm and smooth sound

Back