Buying an Accordion

osirisFIVE

Hi guys.

Not really sure if this is the correct place to post this, but just wondering whether anyone of you guys know a good place where I can buy and try Accordions.

Currently, looking at picking the instrument up because it's frikkin' awesome.

Thanks in advance.

Ranking sports and music in bras basah has a bunch in the window. They are parrot brand which is a chinese cheapy brand.

heyya, i know this is rather (or extremely) late for a reply to this thread, but i just stumbled upon it and thought i'd reply in the slim chance that you still require some assistance.

i'd recommend see lian enterprise at fu lu shou complex (http://www.seelian.com.sg/) or swee lee's warehouse (not the one at bras basah, do check http://www.sweelee.com.sg/locations/). i got my accordion from the former and its bag for the latter.

yep i'm an accordionist too, and though i haven't been so for long, do feel free to contact me if you need any help!

heyya, i know this is rather (or extremely) late for a reply to this thread, but i just stumbled upon it and thought i'd reply in the slim chance that you still require some assistance.

i'd recommend see lian enterprise at fu lu shou complex (http://www.seelian.com.sg/) or swee lee's warehouse (not the one at bras basah, do check http://www.sweelee.com.sg/locations/). i got my accordion from the former and its bag for the latter.

yep i'm an accordionist too, and though i haven't been so for long, do feel free to contact me if you need any help!

Thanks so much for the help!

I'm definitely going to check out the See Lian Enterprise you've recommended!

Where can I learn this instrument? Am learning the guitar but I do want to pick up the accordion in the future!

honestly i do not know....but i didn't try looking for a teacher.

from my experience with it, it seems like the best way to improve is to listen (youtube) and practice, as with most other undertakings. a couple of things - control of the bellows, bass key placement, etc - might plague you for really long (i still have loads of problems with it) but over time you'll definitely hear an improvement!

it helps to have basic theory though, and to have a good grasp of the circle of fifths.

From the Toy Accordion I played in Paris, I only know that pushing is one note and pulling is another. Which makes it interesting. But I'll definitely need a teacher for the fundamentals of the instrument.

Yup, the accordion makes a sound when there is a movement of air within it and this is regulated by your pushing and pulling. I do not comprehend the technical details, but that's the gist of it!

From your description, it would sound like the accordion you tried was a button accordion, and a small one too. With limited buttons, each knob is designed to be capable of making 2 sounds - depending on whether you're pulling or pushing - as you've mentioned, presumable to allow for the instrument to produce a greater variety of notes.

The accordion I have however is much easier to configure. It is relatively big (in accordion-speak, it has 60 bass and 34 keys), and hence has enough buttons for each to not have to perform double duties i.e every button produces the same sound regardless of push or pull. Also, one side resembles a keyboard, so it is much easier to visualise your notes, and even more so if you've got keys/piano background. If you'd prefer to have this type of accordion, do make a note to mention of this (that you'd prefer a model with one side resembling a keyboard) when scouting for one, lest you be offered only button accordions.

In any case, I wish you all the best!

Where can I learn this instrument? Am learning the guitar but I do want to pick up the accordion in the future!
Hi! I may be a bit late, but I found this post just now, so want to share my experience.
There is accordion community in Singapore. They also teach how to play button and piano accordion. Their web page is: accordion.sg.
Teachers are Russian and Chinese professional accordionists and they charge not too much, so I take lessons from them already for half a year. Now I can play some popular songs and start trying to challange more complicated melodies. They also cover bellow work, fingering and music theory, but I, honestly, just enjoy playing my new friend. :cool:
They also have group lessons and accordion ensemble, so I met many interesting people there.
As far as I know, they also sell new and second-hand accordion models from Germany and Russia, so I currently considering to change my 60bass "GoldenCup" button accordion to new "Tula" or "Weltmeister" one.
Hope ithis info helps...

oh? this is very informative, I long to buy an accordian
Roland hi-tech accordian very expensive leh
I'm not sure - do the sell electronic accordions, but I heard, that it is not too good for learning but good for performance.
You may ask them what do they have now. I know, recently they had some Ukrainian accordion for sale and also one key Weltmeister.
I'm now waiting when they have Weltmeister Romance model or for Tula 209 model, since I need bigger keyboard and more registers. Also, may be, Hohner Nova III... ;)

electronic no good meh ?
I want to learn and go busking at orchard road

I think Roland is not bad for indoor performances alone, since it has good bass support. At the same time with Roland u depend on battery and speakers quality, so it may not be the best choice for outdoor performance. When I took lessons from accordion.sg, they recommended me to find a kids accordion with half size and 60 bass for busking so I did. Now I do not have time for it, so I play for myself at home.

Accordion:
1)piano accordion-which the right-hand key board design like the piano key.
2)button accordion:right-hand key design in button form just like the left hand buttons.
3)electronics accordion-same as piano accordion key board design with built-in midi,can use for both manual and midi playing.

Back