how to play slash chords?

redname

hi,
i know the title looks like a usual qn but this is different.

normally, we'll jus play the note after the slash but recently when i tried to play the full chord (ie A chord, i'll play the A and C#), I'm not sure what to play for the slash chord. tried to play C#m for A/C# but sounds wrong.

can anyone advise? thanks

basically a slash chord is the original chord added a bass note,
so for the a/c# you just play the A maj +a C# note thats on the the lower pitch and that would be on the A string 4th fret,
do not go for the higher notes as it would usually turn out to be some add/9/13 chord , tho they have the same notes but the note arrangements would give it a diff feel.
cheers anyway correct me if im wrong

Technically speaking, A/C# is C#m aug5 (R-m3-a5). Writing as A/C# is jazz way I think.

So you play C#, E, A will sound alright. When you play C#m the notes are C#, E, G# that's why it sounds wrong.

Last edited:
An augmented C#m and an A/C# do have the same 3 notes but are used in different context. A/C# is just a first inversion of A major, commonly found in all kinds of music. C#m+ or any minor chord with augmented fifth is rarely used. The notation doesn't really have anything to do with genre.

... I think. Haha.

have always thought chords on bass and guitars, although should be the same as keyboard, but due to guitar/bass stringing the context would be different.

like the same A/C#, it should BE C#, A, C#, E (and C#maug5 should BE C#, E, A). but when you play A/C# on guitar especially, the chord formation on it will be C#, E, A, C# (ie C# on fret 4, E,A,C# on fret 2)?

wow, thanks for the replies guys.

from the replies, it seems that A/C# should be played as if the 1st inversion, which means i can just play the A chord which have all the tones of the C# aug Alan was talking about but it seems rather strange to me cause i usually missed out the 5th tone and play the root, octave and 3rd (or flat 3rd depending on minor or major), so in the case where i play a C#m for a A/C#, i only do a C#, higher C# and E, which all still falls in the A chord but it just sounds wrong.

i hope i'm not confusing anyone here with my long post :D

alan: you can always play C# A C# E on the guitar, just need to find a different fingering. That's the beauty of stringed instruments compared to piano.

redname: I think some of your confusion stems from misunderstanding the notation A/C# in the first place. It refers to an A major chord played over just a C# note, not a C# or C#m chord. So there is no G# and you're not missing anything. It sounds weird because in the way you play it, there is no A at all to give it context and it just sounds like a minor third.

Anyway here are some ways I'd play A/C#:
Code:
e|----x--------x--------x----|
B|----2--------5-------10----|
G|----2--------6--------9----|
D|----2--------7--------7----|
A|----4--------4--------7----|
E|----x--------x--------9----|
You can always let the high E string ring out or add a major 7th or other note to taste.

alan: you can always play C# A C# E on the guitar, just need to find a different fingering. That's the beauty of stringed instruments compared to piano.

redname: I think some of your confusion stems from misunderstanding the notation A/C# in the first place. It refers to an A major chord played over just a C# note, not a C# or C#m chord. So there is no G# and you're not missing anything. It sounds weird because in the way you play it, there is no A at all to give it context and it just sounds like a minor third.

Anyway here are some ways I'd play A/C#:
Code:
e|----x--------x--------x----|
B|----2--------5-------10----|
G|----2--------6--------9----|
D|----2--------7--------7----|
A|----4--------4--------7----|
E|----x--------x--------9----|
You can always let the high E string ring out or add a major 7th or other note to taste.

huh? i'm asking for bass, we dnt have tht many strings to play :p

I do understand wat's A/C#. i'm confused that if i play a harmony chord for normal notation (eg. A major chord) then what should i play for those slash chord (eg. A/C#) assuming that i wanna play a harmony chord for this instead of the usual playing of a C# note.

haha, i think we are confused rite now, let's make it clear, i'm asking about bass here :)

Right, I knew this was in the bass forum but forgot along the way haha... Apologies.

I think I'd simply play C# A E (hmm 9 x 7 9) on a 4-string.

Huh. Why so confusing.

A/C# by virtue of notation is the 1st Inversion of the A Chord.

So the bass (and maybe keys) would do its job by anchoring the C# while the guits (and keys) lay the A on top of you. That's how it works in the simplest sense.

But if you want to play a 'harmony chord' (I really don't know what that is but I'm guessing Chord Tones), then it is correct to play the 1 3 5 7 of the A chord i.e. A C# E G# anywhere you want, as long as you emphasize the C#, ESPECIALLY if the guits and keys are just doing the A.

You MAY sound wrong if you play the C# too high i.e. on the G string - cuz the C# doesn't become the ROOT of the A chord. It just become another C# in the A chord.

Tell you what. Play the lowest C# (and nothing else) you have on your bass and if it sounds wrong, then someone else is playing something wrong. Ask your jamming friends what they are playing, and you may find the answer.

Hope I've helped.

Back