Vocal coach with fully equiped music studio in Jurong area

Caleb Wong

Hi, my name is Caleb Wong.

I am a private vocal coach with 3 years of experience in teaching and performance. I have a fully equiped music recording studio where I conducted my lessons. I was trained in a combination of traditional and contemporary vocal techniques - Bel Canto and Belting.

The Bel Canto technique originated from the days of Italian opera. The practitioners of Bel Canto used specific techniques in producing the voice that resulted in resonance and purity of tone, consistency of tone across the registers of the voice, a high degree of breath control, excellent projection, and longevity of the voice.It is a natural way of singing that "makes sense" as it is rooted in simple physical and physiological principles.

Belting is a contemporary technique of singing that is widely used in musical theatre and today chart-topping music. Singers using this technique include Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Brian Mcknight, Christina Aguilera and recent internet sensation, Charice Pempengco. Belters tend to produce a bright, brassy/metallic, loud and rich voice, often utilized in musical theatre settings, but also used in gospel and rock. However, it is believed that users of this technique may risk damaging their voice in the long run.

What makes my vocal coaching unique is the marrying of the traditional with the contemporary. Students get the best of both worlds, reaping the benefits of both techniques. They will sound like contemporary belters, brilliant and projected, yet preserving the longevity of their voices through Bel Canto concepts.

By applying principles from the Bel Canto technique that promotes “protected singing” and combining them with elements from the belting technique, students can learn how to unlock their “true voice” – the unique and one-of-a-kind voice mother-nature has given them. Students are encouraged to develop their own distinctive voice, rather than trying to play “copycat”. The world does not need another Mariah Carey or Michael Buble. Just be yourself!

Students will be amazed at the drastic improvement of their vocal range, tone and stamina. They can expect to hit very high notes (using a “mixed voice”) with ease, leaving absolutely no strain on the throat. By applying the use of “mixed voice”, students can produce a full and chesty-sounding voice on the high notes. Amateur singers can only hit these high notes with their head voice.

Students can also sing for hours at a go without experiencing vocal fatigue. In fact, this technique will enable the voice to get stronger over the course of a performance/tour. This is especially useful for professional singers that are required to sing on a daily basis.

Singing is a craft. Like everything else, it requires passion, hard work, dedication and talent. Talent can always be nurtured.

Let me bring out the talent in you!

If you are interested in building a solid foundation in singing, please contact me at band_110802@hotmail.com or call 97684140.

Back