over rated and under rated guitar brands

Status
Not open for further replies.

van_halen

Banned
over rated: ibanez, suhr, epiphone (not including Japan made epiphones), gibson, PRS, schecter, DEAN, taylor

under rated: godin (includes all their sub-brands), G&L, Jackson/Charvel (before being bought over by Fender), Kramer (before being bought over by Gibson), tokai, greco, burny, fernandes, martin, Hamer (refering only to their USA made guitars), steinberger (before being bought over by Gibson), Parker, Orville

neither over rated nor under rated: fender, bc rich, yamaha, ESP, TGM (hehe)

disputed: ed roman guitars, zachary guitars

feel free to add on and discuss.

Controversial troll-bait thread is controversial troll-bait. I think my Gibson's worth every cent, you are now wrong.

There's no denying that Gibsons are overpriced, most of them anyway

don't know about overrated but Washburn is definitely underrated

Ibanez is not overrated but owned by many. I prefer to be a bit special and go for less popular guitars. Just personal taste.

Controversial troll-bait thread is controversial troll-bait. I think my Gibson's worth every cent, you are now wrong.

not troll-baiting, but just referring you to an article by gibson president, Henry Juszkiewicz:

"I said we are going to increase prices. Prices were ridiculously low. And people said, the price has been decreasing 20% a year, how can you reverse that? I said I'm just going to double the prices on a lot of models. I actually tested it and got an inverse price curve. Basically it showed that every time I raised prices a certain amount, volume would go up."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/management/2006-02-20-forum-gibson_x.htm

and yes, i agree that value is what is perceived by the customer, so i'm not against gibson

Last edited:
Judging from Schecter's build quality and materials, with that price. It is surely not overrated.

What's the purpose of this thread anyways? Telling people that their PRS and Gibson's are overrated and they wasted their money?

Judging from Schecter's build quality and materials, with that price. It is surely not overrated.

What's the purpose of this thread anyways? Telling people that their PRS and Gibson's are overrated and they wasted their money?

oh c'mon you can't seriously think that nobody will get their feelings hurt one way or another

i think some people need to have a better understanding on what is meant by over rated. an over rated guitar can be a good guitar, albeit over rated. for example, a gibson les paul standard is a good guitar but not the best thing since sliced bread as some people want to believe. for the price that you pay for a gibson, you'll get a better deal from Heritage or small custom builders.

heh, touch our heart and ask ourselves, what was the last song that we wrote, produce etc with the geetar we have.

If the answer is

1) I play covers
2) I only play geetar, no music on my own
3) Hur hur, simiL.J

then yes, whatever geetar/gear we have, are all over rated. Be it $10 or $10000. Infact, as owner, we are prolly over rated too, if aint doing much musically productive work with our geetar..

Price is not a problem but skills. Nothing is overrated or underrated. Depends on the preference of the person.

i think some people need to have a better understanding on what is meant by over rated. an over rated guitar can be a good guitar, albeit over rated. for example, a gibson les paul standard is a good guitar but not the best thing since sliced bread as some people want to believe. for the price that you pay for a gibson, you'll get a better deal from Heritage or small custom builders.

...we also got budget line brands like SX, TGM, Squier which are over rated, too common... and yeah... damn goood:rolleyes:. I think a guitar brand being overated is a brand that markets its guitars world wide through mass production, made of the best materials that are reasonable and of top quality and then these materials are standardized for mass production, probably their higher end models are made with extra special materials, similarly to budget line, their materials are being standardized so that the companies could mass produce their guitars even though their materials may not be of top quality.

Also through the endorsements from renowned artists... DUH, if Epiphone could make a Slash replica, people could start of with an epiphone instead of a Gibson and then upgrade it to get the sound. On the other hand, we also got Navigators, Edwards and other Japanese brands also made of top notch materials, price almost like a gibby and why are they not common, because the intention of Japanese guitar makers market their guitars in Japan. It is when ppl start goin crazy over them and they become more renown.

I think choice of brands is according to preference, collectors may prefer high end guitars, beginners go for cheap ones, intermediates go for mid-ranged guitars, metal guitarist go for heavy sounding guitars, blues go for ones with the best tone and so on... Honestly, i don't think there is such thing as a Bad guitar, it may be bad for some but hey, people can get innovative and do many things to their axes and then they say... Not bad.

Hmmm.....PRS not to my taste but definitely not over-rated. Some of the best players on the planet would disagree with you about Suhr......

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Ernie Ball Musicman but some people hate the small necks and bodies.

To me Gibson is OVERPRICED but not over rated, every LP I've owned was a fabulous guitar that has a sound that no other brand comes close too.

In my opinion the most over rated guitars are Ibanez but many on this board would totally disagree as might Vai, Timmons, Satch etc etc and thats totally up to them.

Not sure what I'm trying to say...maybe that there's very little point to this thread!

Use what suits your budget and style, get it set up properly, and play the crap out of it....

Hmm i think bro gkinsingapore got it right. Over rated and over priced are two entirely different matters.
I'd have to disagree about Suhr. It is definitely overpriced! But in terms of sound and build quality, it is one of the best around.
I guess Samick is under rated. So is OLP by EBMM. Rally imho is a cheaper alternative to Epiphone with similar build. So perhaps an underrated brand? Peerless is a cheaper alternative to Gretsch and Gibson semihollows, albeit with similar build and tonal qualities. So for me, Peerless is another underrated brand.

I find that many Epiphones are worth every cent I put into them. Most Epis that I've tried has never disappointed me at all once you compare their pricing. Hence, I think Epis are pretty good solid guitars that are not overrated. Some models, however, in my personal opinion, are a little underrated (Thunderbird PRO is one that was a little underrated. Again, my personal opinion)

However, the extremely highly-priced ones (Jack Cassidy's Bass, is one example) is really not worth the money at all. That is freakingly over-priced

underrated : things that i have.
overrated : things I don't have.

:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back