Two footswitchable channels
12” Celestion speaker
ISF Control
Master volume
Digital reverb
Speaker emulated output
Effects loop

Tone/Sound

I bought a HT 20 combo two weeks ago. Man….this thing roars. I purchased on the phone without testing because I have played HT 5 combo before and I remember I like the overdrive channel. I was hoping BlackStar might improve the clean channel and I was right. Maybe 12” driver plays a good part, it’s really opening and deep but not sparkle clean like Fender or Mesa but hey look at the price tag. No complaint here, I got more than I expected.

The drive channel, that’s what this amp is about. A lot more gain than HT5. I play master volume less than half, around 10-11 o clock, gain sets at 12-1 o clock, give me 80’ rock tones instantly AC/DC, GNR, Aerosmith, Scorpions etc. Plenty of gains at 3 o clock reach from Skid Row, Ozzy, Van Halen and Metallica to modern metal territory. that’s what I have been looking for. 80’s Marshall crank tones in reasonable low volume (not bedroom level though). ISF is a nice feature that you can shape from British to US voicing and I like UK side of thing. Digital reverb is okay, nothing fantastic.

Tested with Ibanez limited edition Prestige RG2820 (Dimazio/IBZ pickups), Ibanez JEM 90th (Dimazio Evo pickups), Gibson LP Classic (stock pickups), PRS custom 22 (Dragon II pickups)
This amp sounds good with all of them but particularly very good with PRS I must admit.

Last night, I tested with BOSS Super Drive (SD1) and effectively I have created four channels. Clean, Light overdrive (clean channel + SD1), amp overdrive, over the top distortion but with liquid sustain (channel 2 + SD1). I presume you can achieve this with any other overdrive pedals too.

Overview
Absolutely brilliant, I don’t think you can find any other tube amp with this price tag and sounds/features in the market at present. I would recommend this amp to anyone who demands great tones for both practice and pub/club gigs with reasonable budget. Basically you can dial anything from classic rock to Modern Metal.

• Overall bulit/ features
• Price

Dislikes

• Shared EQ for both channels
• Clean channel and reverb can be improved

Last edited:
sigh... now i wish i had waited just a little bit longer to get this instead of the HT-5C.
Do you guys think i can return my HT-5C for this amp with a little topup? i bought the ht-5c at around sept/oct last year :confused:

like the HT5....theres a loop in/out at the back is there such for HT20?? can u enlightened me how you combine the overdrives???

like the HT5....theres a loop in/out at the back is there such for HT20?? can u enlightened me how you combine the overdrives???

there is a effect loop. But overdrive should be in front of the amp, so I just use guitar->over drive -> amp. I have tried my GNX4 multi FX in the loop to control the volume and add delay etc. sounds great.

Bought a Blackstar Ht-20 Studio Head, Definitely, its a great tube amp with creamy overdrive tone and great distortion. I doubt there is any 20 watts tube amp head equipped with a pair of el34s tubes, with effect loop. The ISP patent mode is nice to play around and helps to shape differ tone. Somehow its has a good organic tone compared to my Triamp mkII.
Highly recommended :)

Back