Query on Acoustic Treatment/Soundproofing

lppier

Hi,

I'll be moving into my hdb flat next year and would like to set up one of the rooms for the best possible home recording environment for maybe under 5k.

Here's my criteria
1) I want to achieve a dry sound for recording acoustic guitar so that I can apply reverb from software plugins to taste afterward (as little reflection from the walls, ceilings and floor as possible)
2) Block out sound from living room when say, the TV is on.
3) Block out sound from the streets outside the window
4) If possible, allow me to play into the night without disturbing my other family members.

I'm not really sure what I need and whether my budget is realistic - need the expertise of the members here.

Thanks!

Pier.

Last edited:
Here's my criteria
1) I want to achieve a dry sound for recording acoustic guitar so that I can apply reverb from software plugins to taste afterward (as little reflection from the walls, ceilings and floor as possible)
2) Block out sound from living room when say, the TV is on.
3) Block out sound from the streets outside the window
4) If possible, allow me to play into the night without disturbing my other family members.

1) I guess you have to make your recording room acoustically dead.
2,3,4 is not acoustics anymore,it's more on how to soundproof the room(this may cost you a bunch of cash)..

6969 is correct basically what he is saying is that there is 2 process involved. When someone say sound proof it means sound do not get in or get out. You should know also that a good sound barrier is usually also a good sound reflector. Eg of good sound barriers finished brick wall, thick concrete walls, marble, ..... So in order to achieve good sound proof results we build a room in a room construction with an air gab in between. The air gab serves as a de-coupler so no structure borne noise will creep in or out of the room.

Now the next art is to resolve acoustically within the room. You will require diffusers and absorbers to get a good sounding room. It does not necessary mean a dead room is a good room. Many renown artist records in their living room. The whole idea is to get the sound true to source and sounding natural.

So for your options, I guess it really difficult unless you wish to spend big money to get your room “sound proof”. Like all rooms the weakest link to sound proofing are the doors and windows. You really need to seal the every hole there is every gab there is. Of course sound energy will still penetrate most of the doors that is sold in Singapore usually call décor doors – they are the worst. You need solid timber doors.

Go to this link and you will see many option of seals:
http://www.ravenseals.co.uk/domino/raven/ravenweb.nsf/html-v/RavenDoorandWindowSeals

Remember a good sound barrier is a good sound reflector and a good sound absorber is a good sound transmitter.

After you have done the sealing and sound still penetrate the door what you can do is to stick a 0.5mm aluminum sheet to the door. After this stick a 10-15mm plywood on top of the aluminum ….this way you have increase the mass of the door and also introduced different materials so that the door do not resonate in on single frequency.

Of course better still change the door. Good luck with your experiment!

Last edited:
A double glazed window of 3 panel cost $900 . it will block the noise from outside the street. For the bedroom door you will need 2 door. 1 to swing outward and the iother inward.A door cost $600 each.

1. dry rooms and dead rooms are different things my friend. A dead room is achieved by covering walls and ceilings with foam.
2. You will need to make an enclosure for this one, for this I would get the guys at NYTC to do that for you. You will also need a door and their doors are the best on the market.
3. Better to just block up your window, else buying a soundproofing window is a bit costly and there are a lot of companies selling normal windows as noiseproof ones.
4. Wow if you want to do that you really need to get in contact with NYTC they really know there stuff and there prices are good. Look for Celine if shes still working there and try to get hold of their acoustic engineer for a some advice. I had a some difficulty getting hold of him as he seams to be doing a lot go big project work. When i finally got hold of him, I was amazed he knew everything he was very cool. He spent about 45 mins explaining to me about how to build my entire studio explaining in detail the pros and cons of all types of treatment.
I ended up buy a load of foam, having them build me one wall over my window and replace the door i got from another company. Which have to say after seeing their door then having it installed at my place was money well spent. Now i'm happy. I spent around 3k

Back