Marshall MG10

subversion

582286.jpg

Marshall MG10
List: $115 (Davis GMC)

The Marshall name represents a force to be reckoned with. Tone-wise, it is a signature many players look forward to embrace. To countless newbies out there, the thrill of owning a Marshall overshadows the understanding of what Marshall is all about per se. The MG10 reviewed here is one of the manufacturer’s very affordable entry-level units for us who wish to claim a little piece of tonal antiquity.

MG series- revamped
Marshall recently gave their MG range of solidstate amps a retreatment. The series now feature digital controls coupled with an analogue tonal section. Gone are the flip-click switches as well as any push-push manipulations. These amps now feature circular switches which sit rather flushed into the control panel. The MG10 however, is devoid of the digital features of its elder siblings, the only digital affair here is its channel switch. The other simple controls are its volume, gain & contour EQ section. This simple amp is clearly aimed at prolonged playing, no exaggerated controls to get in the way.

Features
As mentioned above, the MG4’s control panel is fundamental. The amp sports a 6.5” driver & is closed back. It’s barely 5kg for your handling & that unmistakable black-gold colour combination screams Marshall from afar. There is nothing to shout out here, the MG10 is clearly a starter unit to supplement guitar excessives.

Rating: 70%

Tone
Ladies & gentlemen, presenting to you, the ultimate Marshall tone is a compact manifestation- of course not. The proverbial Marshall ear fodder is still its screaming red hot valves, not any solidstate voicing. The MG technology was conceived to address the bargain end of the market with a healthy Marshall semblance not just any valveless platform to voice one’s guitars.

The clean offerings here are surprisingly more organic than any other low wattage beginner units out there. However, in both drive & clean modes, the clear lack of a healthy bottom end serving is rather apparent. The closed back feature here provides some consolation in terms of the low-end rumble. The EQ section isn’t very helpful as it is a sweeping feature & does not allow the user to focus on one frequency while preserving the others. You need an external EQ supplement to meet your tonal needs. The MG10 performs much better in clean mode with single coils in the mix. The average humbucking guitar would be treated with that missing bottom end tone which would be annoying to many of us who are privy to 12” drivers doing the job.

The MG10 gets interesting with external effects plugged in. Its clean voicing is a splendid complement to one’s digital multi-FX unit. The drive channel is also livelier when boosted with a drive pedal of the polite variety, that is, the Tubescreamer & company. Nevertheless, the lack of a decent bass response might irk some of us excessively but remember what the amps from this end of the range is all about; it should be understood accordingly.

Tone test equipment:
• Guitars: Gibson LP BFG/ SMASH S2 Lite/ Ibanez RG321
• Effects: Korg PX5D/ LINE6 Pocket POD Express/ Ibanez TS7/ MXR Ditortion +

Rating: 70%

Conclusion
Is acquiring a Marshall MG10 a tonal upgrade of any nature? Negative. There are too many low wattage solid state units out there which sound very similar to this Marshall. Amps of this nature should be treated on like terms, regardless of its brand name but some of us feel less vulnerable with a tried & tested label stuck to our practice units. However, upon close scrutiny, there is a distinctive Marshall-type voicing to be heard; that typical, grizzly, British bark which is very desirable to many of us. The MG10 would serve us players who are in search of a robust practice model with functional controls to promote steadfast playing. There is a need to understand what the MG10 is all about before dismissing it as puny & unnecessary.

Final rating: 70%

• Tough exterior
• Above-average QC
• Great cleans

Dislikes:
• Lacking in bass
• No reverb
• Sweeping EQ

Worthy competitors:
• Ibanez: IBZ10G
• Laney: LX12
• Timbre: G-10S

marshall

Got mine so called NEW from Davis lately. Comes with a unsealed box with no plastic wrappers. Not sure if Davis give its customers used products or the QA of this marshall is pretty bad, there is a deep scratch on the back panels and one of the knob's rubber grip is mashed pretty badly. The floor studs seemed wored and dusty. Pretty upset about the cosmetics.

Nevertheless, this delivers the creamy Marshall tone, very satisfied at both clean and distortion. Sounds abit digital at low volumes, at high vol, the analog distortion is comparable to the earlier valvestate series. This is the first marshall amp which I can get the tones i want easily. Plug and play with satisfaction, I don't think it is too bassy, just rite for me, unlike the previous CDR or RCD version which has to spend considerable amount of time to dial in to get a nice tone out of it. Oh by the way, this thing dun rumble or shake at max volumes, unlike other crappy practice amps. Built like a tank. The only thing i dun like is the gain controls at distortion mode. It is only usable after 12 oclock.

Tested with Gibson les paul standard, Warmoth Telecaster, Yamaha SA 2000

Ease of use: 10
tone (for its price): 9.5
QA: 5

Highly recommended.

hi sub, sorry to hijack the thread, but since we're on the topic of MG amps, have you tried the latest model of the microstack, the mg15hfx? saw your review on the older model, and i was pretty much sold on buying it as a home practice amp. THEN this new model came out, but i haven't got the time to go down and try it out myself. =] what do u think?

yes i have. the revised edition doesn't sound too far off, in fact it sounds as intimidating. the only difference i hear is the distortion- it sounds less sharp & more organic. to the rest of us, it's still that Marshall signature.

thanks man.. i'll probably head down to check it out this weekend. heard its like 430 bucks, slightly more expensive than the previous model. oh well, hope it's worth the price..

$430? which model are you referring to? certainly not the MG10 above, ya?

Last edited by a moderator:
nope..was referring to the mg15hfx.. but i recently checked out the latest vox ac15vr, and i'm beginning to change my mind about the marshall. haha! might end up getting the vox instead. they are both in the same price range..

go with what you like to hear, regardless of the brand name. small amp tones are not as commanding as their bigger counterparts. in fact, they sound similar in distortion mode.

Back