The Unofficial Guide - Stepping Into Music

Cheerios mate!! hee now cannot practise lah, tommorrow last day exam. Than after that, i'll work my ass off for the flagship td-20 drum module. my expansion gonna cost me at least 4k, but it'll be well worth it lah... hee, wish me good luck in the DIY'in process:D..

regards

what about recording an album? what kind of labels are there in singapore? and what kind of contracts are usually given out? is self financing an album even possible?

That was a very informative guide...Almost can be official guide already. Go publish into a book leh. :mrgreen:

Mentoring

Hi all, I have not been active iin this forum for maybe a year (sorry I have been very busy this year (touring, teaching, mentoring and recording two new records and video, etc.) I was attracted to this thread because I received an email from the owners of this forum about this thread (and other threads) .... I say this to you all because I want to explain two things:
1. I am not looking to "spam" this forum or this thread, but Soft contacted me about it in email so it seemed ok for me to contribute freely here.
2. I believe that members at this forum who read this thread are highly interested in a music career and therefore will find my words below VERY VERY relevant.

You may already know that I am a professional musician who has toured in North America and Europe for many thousands of people every day. (you can visit my website for videos of these huge concerts and other stuff I have done if you want to see the proof. www.tomhess.net

But what I wanted to comment on here is that I offer a service which I believe anyone interested in the topic of music careers will find VERY interesting.

I mentor musicians just like you from around the world to become professional musicians.
If you wish to see more information and watch a video of me speaking about it, here is the link: http://tomhess.net.29.m6.net/MusicCareer.aspx

Again I am not trying to spam you people here (if that was my intention, I would have done it a long time ago) but I KNOW my mentoring program would be of MASSIVE VALUE to so many people here:

Thank you,
Tom Hess

Last edited:
Wow after reading the "unofficial" guide, I just can't help but feel enlightened. :D Really sets you thinking and helps you calculate your possibilities. Thanks man.

Original Post

The original post is very informative, and I will be reading it many times I m sure. Thank you so much.

Since I am new to the music scene, new yet an old person, heehee... this is a good article to read and re read often. I only got a CD out and yet have not gigged in over 15 years and even when I did gig way back when they were for tiny little things, not that I minded, but to let you know - yep newbie here =)

Nice! Thanks for the guide, cause I have a more in-depth view of the entertainment industries and world. Thanks a lot. However, sad to say, not everyone around me supports my love in singing and changing it into a career. Can you give me some advice as to persuad them that my true love of music is totally into singing and that I am determined to face any problems/barriers waiting for me? Thanks.

How to get started in the music industry:

There’s more to being a musician than just making music. In this session, pick up tips on song writing, kick starting your music act, the importance of stage presence, and recording studio etiquette. Also, find out what to look for in a manager and what exactly they do.

Admission is free. Organised by Aging Youth in conjunction with Invasion Online Pte Ltd, SHINE Youth Festival presents "How to get started in the music industry".

Panelists:
1. Ian Toh, principal, Thunder Rock School
2. Roland Lim, recording producer, Sync Studios
3. Saiful Idris, singer/ guitarist, The Great Spy Experiment
4. Syaheed, artiste manager, Bedsty Music Group

Date: Sunday 8 July 2012
Time: 3pm
Venue: LAB, National Youth Council Academy, beside Kopitiam @ Youth Park

http://www.facebook.com/events/430202090342315/

Interesting read. I think it applies to all creative endeavors, not only for music. To add on, these things are necessary right now:

1. Social Media

Facebook and Twitter accounts are a must for bands! Regular photoshoots and interviews in the limelight will keep your fans on the edge with your latest song releases and updates. It is a better time now than ever to release music independently without labels.

On a personal note, I prefer indie music. A prime example is The Birthday Massacre. I found them on vampirefreaks.com wayyy back, and 3 years later, i heard their songs playing on SINGAPORE RADIO. (They are a Canadian Indie Band), how amazing is that?

2. Personal Branding

A band got to market itself and band its music as something different, and its Brand has to communicate these goals. For example, Innerpartysystem is an indie artist that releases its tracks on iTunes, and it is associated with other indie artists in the same rock genre. Their music and lyrics is outstandingly good, but no one really knows them. I found them by accident while surfing YouTube Dance videos.

Just my two cents worth of sharing :)

Back