Cymbal Guide- develop the right mentality(updated)

Different in a band setup, however. Type of cymbals and the use of them is important when it comes to building good interband relationships. Lets take for example playing christian music. It can get really tricky because we can play really nasty loud, hard and fast stuff and need bright rock cymbals. We can also be required to do a jazzy swing feel for mass songs and require really dark and dry cymbals or a softer touch.

Its about choosing whats best for the musical situation as compared to buying what u think sounds good to u. Unless ur getting the cymbal strictly for ur own home use purpose, i'd rather get something i can bring out and use and then the music i produce is absolutely my own flavour.

I guess when u keep listening to your favourite genre, it grows into you and that could affect your taste and purchase. =D

Well said gambatak. I may like the sound of certain cymbals. But if it doesn't suit my band's music, there is no point using them when playing with the band. It'll only end up sounding annoying lol. Like you said, choose cymbals (and all gear in general) to suit the music.

well i guess it depends on e suituation.
well in church many people are not knowledgeble on drums so no matter how horrible they sound to us, to them its lyk oh okay its a
watchamalacall it? CLANK!?

well tts life when u donno anything abt it. i'm glad i'm in this forum learning new stuff on equipment anyway haha!

so ya depend i guess this topic can b a non-stop debate with no answer!
SO CHEERS EVERYONE :D

LOL yea i tottaly agree gambatak.. yea the cymbals you choose depends on your usage and whether your own preference

This thread is interesting. Would like to share my basic knowledge on these.

Be it you are looking for that round, centered and focus bright tone cymbals for pop, fusion, rock style or the smooth, open, dark and washy tone for jazz and softer drumming situation, we must understand that cymbals will sound much better when they're 'seasoned'(something like hand-hammered cymbals, just that we're using stick to hit it la :lol: )

Another thing is that, we need to learn the correct technique on crashing/ riding/hitting cymbals to get the best tone out of it and to prevent it from crackin/damaged.

Lastly, for me, i will only get used to and be able to know the true tone of any new cymbals after using it 2hrs daily(performing at clubs), in about 5-6weeks. Once you get accustomed to the tone, it'll be easier to control it why playing..

This is just my personal opinion. It's hard to fully understand in writing, so maybe, if i'm free for coming meet-ups, i'll show it to you all on-hand :D

Gambayak – yes I agree and that’s what I’m doing too – I used only Cymbals appropriate for Jazz and I don’t use my Jazz Cymbals for Blues.

Ahpek – good advice and so true especially so on the Technique Part.

My personal opinion:-

When it comes to decision on purchasing Cymbals – careful consideration should be taken besides the above.

I’ve heard many Proponents & Opponents of – “Manufacturer Brands of Cymbals eg Sabian Zildjian Paiste etc) via “Hand-Hammered Cymbals eg. Bosphorous, Turkish, Istanbul, Masterworks etc).

The truth is :-

(1) Manufacturer Cymbals

They are produced in Volume, due to their Popularity, so with their image and volume demand – they need Machines…and standardization in Sound is achieved besides been able to coup with World-Wide Demand…..

There is Good & Bad here - - - - Good thing is for their Higher End Cymbals (or range of Cymbals) – there is a certain standardization in Sound – you are assured that you get this close-similarity in the sound you really wanted from them for their cymbals..eg. Zildjian Constantinople, Paiste Signature, Sabian Vault etc (just an example)….BadOn the other hand is – There are always a handful of Drummers who wanted difference in sound in a Cymbal(that’s why some claim – not all cymbal sound the same) and Prices are high and in US – customers as they becomes more discerning (with introduction of more HandHammered Cymbals with better value for money offers to drummers) – the customers (who are drummers here) feels these Manufacturer are over-pricing their Cymbals – true in a way – but it’s a process and reality that when demand becomes Worldwide – you can’t hammer every single Cymbal and Certain Standard have to be set…that’s understandable.

I love Paiste – but not all Paiste (only their Signature & The New Signature Series) – so do I love Zildjian K Constantinople & Ks, I like Sabian Vault too - - - but if I buy a lower range of Cymbals of these Manufacturer - - - then I would rather go for HandHammered Series (eg like Bosphorous, Turkish, Istanbul, Masterworks etc) just to name a few here because

(2) HandHammered Cymbals

HandHammered Cymbals are really Value For Money Cymbals – not expensive, great sounding among their entire range ….. The difference within their range is just (whether you want Rock Cymbals, Jazz Cymbals etc) – but test them all within the range and you’ll find it’s just – What kind of sound you want to suit your kind of Music you Play – Pricing within the range are very close (so all are value for money)…great buy.

Because they are HandHammer – you find a greater difference in sound even among the same range, size - - I love this too because sound is very subjective, it great to have such variance here maintaining a certain level of acceptable sound – as all HandHammer cymbals will go through a Final Stage of Testing and Hammering by their QC which is the CymbalMaker (maybe one or two person here only) – the rest just knock knock base on a certain standard patterns before it comes to this stage.

Then there is this Bosphorus (the Dirty n Raw –Look) vs Istanbul n Turkish (the clean n Shining Look)….some like the Raw Kinda Looks and some Clean Shinning Looks – both are nice…..To me price is of no issue here when comparing among these HandHammered Cymbals – cause the variance is negligible – so when making a comparison strictly between 2 HandHammered Series – Sound you prefer will be the Main and Sole deciding factor - , unlike comparing them to High-End Manufacturer Cymbals – which can be almost double or even more than double – even triple the price is not uncommon…….

It is here – Value For Money of HandHammered Cymbals comes in – If Prices is 3 times or 2 times more when comparing it with Manufacturer High End Cymbals – We begin to question or ask ourself – Is the SOUND…3 times better – No way hahahahah ! a difference there is but not twice better….so we make decision here on what to choose.

Now if you are Image Conscious and love a particular Brand eg Zildjian or Paiste – then it is the willingness to pay the Ex-$$$$$$. So it is true – we pay more $$$$$ for a Brand which is their Equity that commands the Higher Prices…..this being said –

Manufacturer Brands like Zildjian K Con really sound awesome don’t they? So does Paiste New Signature Series …. Whether they sound better than HandHammered – it’s an acquired taste by oneself…..to me – I love these 2 Range most for Manufacturer Brand.

But unfortunately – I don’t have a money-Printing-Machine…so I work within my budget – get the best of both world – buy some Paiste Sig , some Zildjian (which I haven’t yet – money not enough), meantime I’ve Bosphorous which I love them.

If only I have the $$$$$$$$$$$, like our Brother Drum_Hobbyists – I will buy all of them…Kekekekeke.

Because Cymbals are really nice, it’s hard to compare, they offer differences in Sound and Flavours, I wish I could own all of them…akin to woman - - - Raw Looking Type or Clean Looking Type – I’ve learn to admire appreciate them…they are nice and each unique in their own individual way….so it’s a good thing – I welcome them all with an open-mind and an open-arm :lol: Kekekekeke...wink* wink*

RD... good write-up... everyone can have alot of $$$$ if they know how to manage it.... my investment on cymbals...

106 cymbals for $15K over 20 years = $750/year = $62.5/month = $2/day

Not difficult... 8)

Since this is a thread on cymbals, I'd like to ask, which cymbal can i get that is similar sounding to the Paiste 201 crash , but cheaper?

jamela,judging by your cymbal selection that your most probably a metal/hard rock player(correct me if im wrong) and is looking for a bright sounding cymbal(crash in this case) . i doubt u'll be able to find anything cheaper than the 201's,(anything cheaper and you'll be looking at brass(101's) which i doubt exists anymore).hence i would suggest saving up alittle and get something like a symbian AA or zildjian A customs,nice bright cymbals which will last you a long while.cymbals are a long term investment so think carefully before you make your decision.And stick to the old saying "let your ears do the judging" .

Last edited:
May i ask, where can i find all these Turkish cymbals??...I wanna go down the shop and try out the cymbals...If nice, i buy...Where can i find them ah???

Back