Gretsch Catalina Club Set

joshie

Catalina Club Jazz

club_jazzmain.jpg

The Gretsch Catalina Jazz set is designed for the player who is looking for a versatile 4-piece set with quality features. Featuring Mahogany shells and 30-degree bearing edges, this set projects a warm, round, classic tone. The traditional Be Bop sizes with 18" bass drum makes it a fine gigging jazz kit but the Club Jazz can also play comfortably in other music styles, especially if you need to lay into a kit in a smaller live venue. Plus its distinctive retro looks are sure to capture attention. Whether you're looking for a classic jazz kit or small kit for gigs/rehersals, the Catalina Club Jazz kit projects a retro sound, vibe and spirit that will keep you deeply grooving.

The kit comes in silver sparkle or white pearl.

Bass Drum
Bass drums include maple bass hoops and pre-muffled heads for a great sound right out of the box.

Shells And Lugs
The Catalina Club Jazz all-Mahogany shells have 30-degree bearing edges that project a classic warm and round tonality.

All Catalina Jazz shell packs include a wood shell snare drum with side throw-off in the matching finish.

Toms
A fully adjustable tom holders with 12.7mm arms and GTS suspension systems are standard on all mounted toms.

Retail: Ranking and Music Theme

haha,nicely done,first to ever post a review eh? :)
i think we should encourage people to write reviews of certain drumsets or cymbals in this section of the forum.i try to write something about trojans soon,with samples too.

Where'd you get the Trojs?

Haha anyway Joshie you didn't review the kit - you just provided information that can be found on the site! Honestly though the finish (imo) doesn't look as good close up.

Never played it so can't really comment on the sound... :roll:

haha im smart.hahahha goodgood you actually look at sites, commendable. well its fine for studio or small areas la.

deonportnoy said:
Whats the price, can the tom sizes be customised and is the hardware solid?

I think it's about S$1200 now. Hardware is Gilbratar I think....Hmm.mmm Customising Tom size - I think NO....but it's a good drum for that kind of price...but no good for Loud Music like ROCK

Hmm.. i think it should be an ideal set for home. looks great too. suspension on toms should make it sound great as well. $1200 sounds a bit ex though.. for a drum kit of those dimensions.

does anyone own the catalina club rock?

My friends I had made a comparison between The Gretsch Catalina & Yamaha HG. The findings was truly that the Catalina is a better Kit in terms of sound, in termas of beauty...and most of all - it's more appropriate for Jazz.

The Yamaha HG...Hardware is not the same as that of the Stage Custom(if you take a closer look) ...it's smaller - especially the Cymbal Stands...

Overall The Catalina(S$1200..before S$850) should be compared with the Yamaha HG (price at S$1400)...to be more appropriate.

RudimentalDrummer,

are you comparing with catalina or catalina club
catalina is all maple and should be better that catalina club right

the last time I ask was 1400-1500, I suppose if you buy catalina club, might as well buy cataline all maple right?

Am I missing or misundertood something here ?

I'm making a direct comprison between the 4pc Gretsch Catalina Jazz Kit(Mahagony Kit) with Yamaha Manu K. (nothing on the Maple Catalina)

For Jazz Music I would prefer the 4pcs Catalina Club Jazz Kit cause it's Mahagony (Warmer) and a smaller kit

Just to clarify on RD's comment that the catalina club gives a warmer sound:

The mahogony wood that is used in the catalina club jazz is the same as those used in the lower end kits of other brands. Since the wood used are the same, so what's the difference?

It's the 30 degree bearing edge of gretsch drums making. The rest are 45 degree which promotes more higher overtones....

So it's not the wood but the bearing edge.....

Thank you for the commence - that's true.

I was actually deciding to get a Jazz Kit previously and the only 2 Kit that comes to my mind was the Yamaha M K & Gretsch Catalina Jazz Kit.....and during that time many of my friends who owns a Yamaha M K wanted to sell away their Kit to get a Gretsch.....main reson was that the Hardware of the Yamaha M K is not the same as the Yamaha Stage Custom esoecially the Cymbal Stands (it's smaller not so stable).....but the main reason - Gretsch offer 18" Bass Drum n Yamaha M K 16" Bass Drum - This I suppose will be the greatest Selling Point of Gretsch couple with Value for Money Pricing - New at S$900.00 (including the seat) as compare to Yamaha around SD$1400 -

So I guess that's the reson why now Gretsch had jack up the prices to 1200 I pressume.

Cheers !

Ah I was thinking of getting one of these! I'm glad I'm not flawed in my judgment. I haven't really been checking online for others, just went to ranking and browsed around and decided this was nice, and affordably priced.

Back