Recommended Microphones.

turbochicken

not sure if there's already such a thread, but this might help.

polar patterns, freq responses, spl levels, colouration, actual experience with the mikes can all be continued below.

Budget <100

kick

snare

toms

overheads

misc (pzm, boundary, room, ambient etc)

Budget <200

kick

snare: Shure SM57, Beta 57

toms: Shure SM57, Beta 57

overheads

Budget <300

kick: AKG D112, Shure Beta 52

snare

toms

overheads: AKG C1000, Audio Technica AT2020

Budget <400

kick: Audix D4

snare

toms

overheads

Budget 500-800

kick

snare

toms: Sennheiser 421

overheads: Rode NT1000, NT2000

Budget 800-1000

kick

snare

toms

overheads

Budget >1000

kick

snare

toms

overheads: AKG 414

That's good help but i need advice.
I'm under quite a budget and i need help.
I need mics for 2toms,1snare,1bass and overheads.
Mind roughly calculating the cost of it?
Cheers in advance to whoever can help me.

Re : Recommended Microphones.

I also notice that Behringer do some good quality cheap entry level mixers, so worth checking those out.

Sorry - don't know if you are UK,US Canada etc.. so you may have to research local stockists of the above - should give you a starting point though.
Please feel free to check out the studio section of my website for more stuff about microphones...
http://www.cassette2cd.co.uk/studio

@Haarp : Do you need the mics for recording or live ? If you go for recordings you need the full number for a good result / workable source, if you go for live on a compact drumkit as youmentioned, you might only need a bassdrum mike (AKG D112,it's worth every cent) + a good overhead (recommend AKG C1000) - needs some time to find the right position - and you will have a good result as well.
cu
jan

That's good help but i need advice.
I'm under quite a budget and i need help.
I need mics for 2toms,1snare,1bass and overheads.
Mind roughly calculating the cost of it?
Cheers in advance to whoever can help me.

Samson (made in China for the US market) used to sell a set of specially made drum mikes comprising 3 snare/tom mics plus one bass mic...can get from Swee Lee at around $600 for whole set...maybe the price already increase. Snare/tom mics come with rim clips....sound is OK for live performances but probably not good enough for recording use. Behringer (also made in China) may have something similar.

Remember you get what you paid for so don't expect Neumann quality.

yeah.. i always find those set kit is good if you just want to get your drums to be projected in PA. it's useful for that. but if you looking for microphones for recording or at least a decent sounds... chose something you like rather then just restrict oneself to a particular brand. ;)

Hi. may i ask why expensive mics are better for recording? If i use a cheaper one but i EQ properly for drums, will get the same result as the expensive mics?

hey.

Hi. may i ask why expensive mics are better for recording? If i use a cheaper one but i EQ properly for drums, will get the same result as the expensive mics?

i'm waiting for someone who's familiarise with mics or experienced to answer this too. Is this possible?

Its not just abt the drums but about the quality of the mics and how sensitive they are, how much accuracy they can capture of the sound of ur drums. Using a $10 mic will not be as good something which cost like $1k. If not why do professionals spend so much on high end monitors and stuff?

You only can be convince of expensive(of cos,well engineered) mic, when you use and hear the result yourself.

not sure if there's already such a thread, but this might help.

polar patterns, freq responses, spl levels, colouration, actual experience with the mikes can all be continued below.

Manley Reference Mono Gold Microphone.
Microphone Type Tube Condenser
Polar Pattern Cardioid, Omni, Figure-8
Diaphragm Size 0.98" (25mm)
Frequency Response 10Hz-30kHz
Max SPL 150dB
Output Impedance 200 ohms
Pads -10dB
Color Gold
Connector XLR
Weight 2.25 lbs.
Manufacturer Part Number REFGOLD