New project bass finished!

It looks like a fab job :) and thanks again for all the support! I hope you have as much fun playing it as you did building it! Do post up some soundclips if you have the time yah?

I'll need to either get a converter or do a little bit of rewiring with some old jacks from headphones that don't work anymore... hope to get it up soon!

can't really tell without looking at the actual thing, but from the pics it looks like u did an awesome job.

i really like your use of wood filler. looks like alot less hassle compared to using veneers and what not.

your buzzing problem was probably due to the neck bow. while the bass was destrung, alot less tension on the neck, over time the neck bows backwards. when you restring it, it slowly bows forward under string tension. best to loosen the truss before destringing, especially if its for a long period of time.

The top looks pretty good, but I have a few very major screw ups, actually.

Firstly, I accidentally got some scratches UNDER the top layer of lacquer. I don't know how deep it is. It probably came somewhere during the levelling process. But the result is that now I have scratches that I can't polish off because it's protected by the lacquer. Not very noticiable but it's there. Left it because it's not worth my effort to remove all the lacquer and redo the whole process.

Also, I have some damage to the finish on the back. I guess it's not a good idea to leave it to dry without a dedicated (and private!) workshop space. Every time I redo the back, crap happened, so in the end I just gave up trying to get the back perfectly smooth.

Wood filler is amazingly useful! In fact, I used it to fill some imperfections on the body itself (it hides well under the paint).

It seems to me that the truss rod on this bass can't be adjusted. The truss rod allen-key slot seems worn down. I guess I can live with it, though. The buzz isn't that major... somehow, the buzz seems to have gone away naturally somehow.

Wood filler is amazingly useful! In fact, I used it to fill some imperfections on the body itself (it hides well under the paint).

amazing job! :)

a question about wood filler, when you open it up, it's not the same consistency... like there will be larger particles when you dig in, and some oily liquid floating on the surface.

so when you use it, you'll have take it out and mix it thoroughly before applying it right?

amazing job! :)

a question about wood filler, when you open it up, it's not the same consistency... like there will be larger particles when you dig in, and some oily liquid floating on the surface.

so when you use it, you'll have take it out and mix it thoroughly before applying it right?

Yeah, I stirred it pretty hard...

It seems to me that the truss rod on this bass can't be adjusted. The truss rod allen-key slot seems worn down. I guess I can live with it, though.
you normally wouldn't need to mess around with the truss rod too often anyway so i guess you could live with it
The buzz isn't that major... somehow, the buzz seems to have gone away naturally somehow.
the string tension probably pulled the neck back into shape

Okay, I took a short sample, and...... holy crap, there's a LOT of static pops and what seems to be some clipping! Too tired to identify the source at the moment; clipping probably comes from connecting the line out from my Orange 35B directly to my com's mic jack since I didn't hear any clipping from the combo itself. Pops seem to be somewhere in the connection, shall look into it later......

Upload here;
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=GBzNMz

I *really* need a better sample.

Started off with no EQing, and Z-mode switch set to center.

Went through Z mode high and low, then did a mid cut with EQ and high Z mode (which is what I was using for more cut), then mid hump and low Z mode (which seems pretty punchy to me).

Seems like increasing anything with EQ, and the low Z mode, has a hotter output, and that causes some problems with the recording.

I need to cut my nails too! There's one point where I accidentally changed the timbre quite noticeably when my fingernail hit it, but I'm too sleepy to record a new sample so here goes.

Last edited:
Nice job, I have a SX which I want to mod as well, i wanna change it to PJ setting and maybe change it's colour too and maybe the headstock .

Back