Re: How to play lead guitar and guitar solo?

sj2six

Can anyone teach me how to play Guitar Solo pls? I really got no idea how you guys know which string n which fret to put your fingers at? Is ther like some kind of standard way for your fingers to run up n down like esp. when you are just strumming chords, there is a standard pattern or shape of the chords n as long as you rem the chord shape, then you can easily play it. But for those solo and lead guitar part, your fingers are always moving up and down the frets n strings, is there also a kinda of standard pattern or method to follow like the above mentioned chords thingy??

the 'surfing of the fretboard'(as how lars ulrich calls it) thing u mentioned..i think when u see guitarers do tt they're playing some sort of scale or mode. juz use a scale tt suits the chord progression. but to this u need to know the key of the song.

check out the video lessons link..ther r 2 vids which show u how to play lead guitar. imo the 1st 1 is gd enough when u're juz starting out..

get a book/teacher to teach u everything u need 2 noe.
learn scales, techniques etc.
learn improvisation.

ta-da! :lol:

Can anyone teach me how to play Guitar Solo pls? I really got no idea how you guys know which string n which fret to put your fingers at? Is ther like some kind of standard way for your fingers to run up n down like esp. when you are just strumming chords, there is a standard pattern or shape of the chords n as long as you rem the chord shape, then you can easily play it. But for those solo and lead guitar part, your fingers are always moving up and down the frets n strings, is there also a kinda of standard pattern or method to follow like the above mentioned chords thingy??

it really depends on the player. but if you are just starting, look for a song you like and get the tablature of that song. it will really help if you have a tab playing software like guitarpro since you can adjust the speed, transpose keys, etc to your liking. then if you would like to know which scale was played on a particular section of a song, you can use some online scale finder http://www.scales-chords.com/scalefinder.php . from the pattern, you will get the name of the scale and this can help you in the future in case you will go into "composition" route.

and also, you don't need to play the solo part exactly the way it was played by another player because players have their own weaknesses and strengths. if you tried to play a solo and you find that the technique is sloppy and you are not getting the correct sequence, you can try to find ways on how to make it sound better to the best of your ability. for example, a frequently used legato e minor pentatonic lick:

-----------------------------------------------
---15---12----10---12----15----12-----10-----

some people may find it difficult to play especially if they are not keen on using their pinky finger, you put it in its equivalent form

---15---12--------12---15----12--------------
---------------14-----------------14----------

however, some people may have difficulty if they are not used to do economy picking (from third to second string).

you may want to watch Theodore Ziras's youtube channel, he has hundreds of tutorials on scales improvisation and he is also teaching how to play it on actual scenario through a backtrack.

Hi sj2six, solo guitar's interesting. Instead of playing guitar in the band, the solo guitarist play "band in the guitar".
To me it's to build up musical language, understanding the fingerboard mapping and motoric skill. Understanding how guitar music works is better than just purely memorization.
Here's some sample of how I teach solo guitar :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC6wLnSyq8I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfyHh8hWsrk
Cheers

start with the root key. think about the chord shape. lets say, key of A, 5th fret.
a chord.jpg
this notes should be the target note, each time chord changes.
scale.jpg
in this scale, practice each strings up and down then make it sure end up your line with the black dotted note.

if you want more, watch caged system by brad carlton. at first look, it seems not worth because this is advance. it took 6 months to learn. better find yourself.

theres a lot of ways. 2nd point, we can use also the chords itself, by using pinkie.
in a key of A again, black dots are the chords, and play along the notes from the left with forefinger, from the right with pinkie.CHORDS.jpg

its a mistake. correction.CHORDS.jpg

tomorrow again.

Last edited:

Watch youtube for a perfect answer in visually then you will learn better. or hire a good teach for yourself who teach you in a better way. Guitar is a nice instrument.

Back