Silent Or Headphone Jamming (Mackie HMX-56/JamHub)

stoning

For a home setup, you may want to jam with your band-mates without disturbing your neighbours.

Thus, silent jamming is an enticing option.

This could be done if one has the Mackie HMX-56 headphone mixer but apparently, as I read from the Vdrums forum, that this product has been discontinued. Anyone has news about its (still) availability here in Singapore?

Another alternative is the recently released JamHub. However it is only available through online music stores for now. They might not ship it here for now.

Anyone else has done a silent jamming setup before, where every musicians get to hear each other, and care to share in this thread here?

Although seemingly very cool, I can see many problems that come about with this product. Although I also could just be misinformed.

Query: Possibility this product will be the rehearsal studio's nemesis?

just buy a mixer with suitable number of inputs and outputs, and get sufficient headphones for everyone and there u have it.

My views...

I havent done silent jamming.. but I think this solves the high cost of expensive sound-proofing of room... I'm thinking if u calculate the cost of the JamHub with the cost of accumulated jamming cost each year.. It's actually much cheaper. However, if u're thinking of recording it.. I dont know if the "space" of it is ideal for the location of musicians in the stereo mix.. it would be good if there's a 3D room location selector instead. And also I think if it's used for recording, everyone need to know the sound and ideal of what the recording engineer/producer want the final product to be... so this might be a bad ideal.

Nevertheless, I still think this is a very good idea and also very compact-on-the-travel recording if u're talking about Tourbus. :)

Jamhub

I havent done silent jamming.. but I think this solves the high cost of expensive sound-proofing of room... I'm thinking if u calculate the cost of the JamHub with the cost of accumulated jamming cost each year.. It's actually much cheaper. However, if u're thinking of recording it.. I dont know if the "space" of it is ideal for the location of musicians in the stereo mix.. it would be good if there's a 3D room location selector instead. And also I think if it's used for recording, everyone need to know the sound and ideal of what the recording engineer/producer want the final product to be... so this might be a bad ideal.

Nevertheless, I still think this is a very good idea and also very compact-on-the-travel recording if u're talking about Tourbus. :)

Something like this Jamhub actually exists for years. Thus, those are mostly uned on stage, which the hub receives tracks from you
Own mixer. Brands like AVIOM and Hear Technoloigies.

Looking at Jamhub, it is actually a box, which consist of few mixers. Each channel takes a mic and line input with individual headphone out. Something
Like taping 5 Behringer Xenyx502 n mix them down into stereo. Other than these, it only uses 1 powe supply.

For small venue like room setuip, I think is ideal.

Anyone else has done a silent jamming setup before, where every musicians get to hear each other, and care to share in this thread here?

yes I have my silent jamming setup.

This is what I use. (4out/4input) , very bare,yet a cheap and effective device.
p-Ak6-S63k3a4QxgG6O9A3QsF3srtLthoT8eGCJ9AQ=w307-h268-no

Direct to smartphone recording
IpqX1c7LKIOjOeYKkiptRHW7OfjkKDwBAhH58VVnFA=w359-h413-no

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3yUFTuKJwF9N213WGktcWZiUXc/view sample recording straight to my cellphone (guitar and drum machine only, no bass guitar - I dont have a bass and e-drums yet :twisted: )

Back