Bass in rock/metal

shioks76

Im a guitarist learning bass(beginner). When the guitarist is palm muting 8th notes or 16th notes distorted rhythm, do u palm mute the same rhythm/riffs on the bass? Or do u guys generally do something else?

Any good examples on youtube u can refer me to?

my personal opinion; bass doesnt ring loudly like a guitar thus you may not need to palm mute the bass string when you do the 8 or 16th notes.

but, there's a technique on bass for staccato notes which either you mute using left (fretting hand) or the right (picking hand).

LOL - somehow I think Jason Newsted probably asked himself this same question everytime he strapped on his bass with M.

Agree with Alan... might need to play "open" to fill out the bottom end and amplify the whole chugging thing.

Alternatives? Go countermelody with a different but complementary riff that harmonizes; or play further up the neck. Have also seen some metal folks doing chordal strumming although that can get wooly if you don't have good control over both tone and distortion.

Examples? my knowledge is a bit limited about metal but do check out bands like Shadows Fall and Opeth for really melodic bass that cuts through those 800 guitars. :)

u ask this qns, i guess coz your band is doing original and u need some ideas how to fuse and blend in together with the band mix?

play in 2 bands with a totally different style once is a messhugaish kinda band another is just bad ass brutal death grindcore band.

for the chuggy chuggy kinda thing i usually mute it with my left hand figuring and dig deeper into the strings on the right, the higher the guitar notes, the lower i play. i;ve use a 5 stringer.

as for the other grind band . i use a pick and mute using the left hand. in my early days i play cheat by using a scrunchy from my hair to mute the strngs and place it at the nut. coz the band play very very fast. now i am started to develop the kind of speed to play fingerstyle that allows me to mute using both hands giving more control.

best is to experiment and see which one works for u.

it depends on the playing style of your band's bassist. he can either play the same chunky muted note as you at the lower octaves...or he could play his own composed melody intune with what you're playing. this is my experience

@OP, I don't get your question. If you need a quick reference to playing styles, check out John Myung's instructional video on YouTube. Since this is a rock/metal thread, I presume you are into heavy music. Similarly, you can check Flea, Cliff Burton, Billy Sheehan etc. I think a musician as a whole, not just bassists, have to listen to a wide range of genres so as to incorporate elements of each in order to bring out the melody of the song you're playing/covering. :D

@OP, I don't get your question. If you need a quick reference to playing styles, check out John Myung's instructional video on YouTube. Since this is a rock/metal thread, I presume you are into heavy music. Similarly, you can check Flea, Cliff Burton, Billy Sheehan etc. I think a musician as a whole, not just bassists, have to listen to a wide range of genres so as to incorporate elements of each in order to bring out the melody of the song you're playing/covering. :D

Agreed. I just wrote out a funk/jazz bassline for a nu-metal song. =D

Back