Ukulele in Singapore

PunkyPorky

Hi...just wondering what do people think about Uke playing in Singapore...let your views be heard...
Is it just another trend or real serious hardcore uke players here...?

small fingerboard, few strings, overly high pitched, sounds more like banjo than guitar. of course we want bigger fingerboards more strings more range.

however, if someone ever makes an electric ukelele I will probably buy myself one

Ukulele movement

Hi...just wondering what do people think about Uke playing in Singapore...let your views be heard...
Is it just another trend or real serious hardcore uke players here...?

We've recently set up an initiative to raise the awarenss of the ukulele in Singapore. There is an ukulele craze in US, Europe and Japan, but nothing yet in Singapore. So we're also organising activities, events, workshops to create an ukulele community here in Singapore and hopefully around the region.

Check out our website (address below) for our events and activities and join our facebook group! If you're on facebook, just search UKULELE MOVEMENT and you should be able to find us.

Hi, I'm pretty hook on the Uke and if there's a regular group which Uke players can jam or maybe with other instrument players, it'll be great. Meanwhile here's a couple of my vids in the tube, some nicks here and there, so pardon the crudeness... *:eek:)

Have fun on the Uke!

While My Ukulele "Not So Gently" Weeps
Can't play like Jake Shimakuburo so improvised a bit at the beginning on the arrangement.

Last edited:
川の流れのように (Kawa Nagare No You ni) - Ukulele

Recent Uke arrangement on a Japanese classic piece by Misora Hibari...Tempo on the Uke is a bit faster than the original piece but nice to play on the uke..

Have fun on the uke

川の流れのように (Kawa Nagare No You ni) - Ukulele

Uke is now a rising trend in Singapore. And it's fast catching up in Malaysia as there are Uke class everywhere.

Juz came across an article today on Singaporeans being an emotionless state, kinda sad. Hopefully with the Ukulele, (or any forms of instruments), it can make a small change with that statement.

Hi, I'm pretty hook on the Uke and if there's a regular group which Uke players can jam or maybe with other instrument players, it'll be great. Meanwhile here's a couple of my vids in the tube, some nicks here and there, so pardon the crudeness... *:eek:)

Have fun on the Uke!

While My Ukulele "Not So Gently" Weeps
Can't play like Jake Shimakuburo so improvised a bit at the beginning on the arrangement.

Hi, are you still playing the ukulele : )? I'm currently looking for someone to play ukulele with over the weekends. Playing ukulele alone is fun, but I think playing with other experienced players such as yourself will be more fun : ).

Re: Ukulele movement

We've recently set up an initiative to raise the awarenss of the ukulele in Singapore. There is an ukulele craze in US, Europe and Japan, but nothing yet in Singapore. So we're also organising activities, events, workshops to create an ukulele community here in Singapore and hopefully around the region.

Check out our website (address below) for our events and activities and join our facebook group! If you're on facebook, just search UKULELE MOVEMENT and you should be able to find us.

Hey! Fancy seeing y'all here, I bought 2 Ukuleles for my sister and girlfriend from your store! Great service and nice place too!

To me, music is always a 'habit', an 'addiction'. It can be good, or bad. It can even be a trend. Like in secondary school when some of the people pick up guitars so that they can hang out in school and play, or the other bunch of guys who pick it up to pick up girls, and also for those who came from a family of musician and may have already picked up the instrument prior to other people wanting to pick it up.

But as all habit, you have control over it. Some people compare it to bad habits, things which you should stop doing but didn't. Or good habits, things you should pick up but didn't. I think it became a trend for a short time, people started picking it up no thanks to Jason Mraz. It became a trend when people were exposed to Jake Shimaburuko. But from this trend, it started spreading to "hey, I saw this guy with this small guitar..." and a ukulele or ex-ukulele player who will reply with "that's not a guitar, that's a ukulele".

There are serious ukulele players, if there isn't then there's no market and shops selling ukulele wouldn't do so well. There are also casual ukulele players, and like every other instruments, there is also a group of people who "pick up just to try" type.

I think, ukulele, like all instruments, started off as a trend. From this trend, it will evolve or devolution. Ukulele is evolving because to be honest, it sounds nice and looks innocent. "Small and cute, 4 strings, sounds nice too!" While "Wah guitar 6 strings, frets so long, how to stretch your fingers!?"

Ukulele is a fun instrument, prior to giving it to my sister and girlfriend, I had to first pick it up myself first in order to teach them. And as usual, the first song I taught them was Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours" because it had easy progression and the finger pattern is not complicated (no barre chords and etc).

Eventually they each started learning their respective songs that they like. It evolved from there. Whereas my 2 army mates whom I was teaching the guitar to, they gave up shortly after because they didn't have enough time and had other activities they were involved in.

Trend? Yes. Are there hardcore ukulele players? Yes. Will this business do well? Yes. Ultimately, music will always keep going.

That's just my opinion though.

Back